Home > About Us > Our School
The school is a government, mixed school near Ang Mo Kio Central, with over 1200 pupils attending this school.
The school started in 1980 as Teck Ghee Secondary under the principalship of Mr Wu Tat Huan. It was officially opened on 5 May 1982 by Mr Lee Yock Suan, then Member of Parliament for Cheng San Constituency. In line with the use of hanyupinyin, the school took on Deyi as the official name of the school in 1981. The school moved into its new premises on 24 Jun 2002 and was officially opened by Mr Tharman Shamugaratnam, then Minister of Education, on 20 May 2005.
Deyi Secondary School is amongst the first batch of nine government schools to have an MOE approved niche area (performing arts) and consequent Direct School Admission status in May 2005. She became the N6 Cluster Centre of Excellence (COE) in the Performing Arts in Nov 2007 and officially launched the COE in Nov 2009. In 2011, the National Arts Council also presented the school with the National Arts Education Award (Blaze), the highest award presented to schools.